The Pirates had no business winning this game.
The Marlins are mired in a rough stretch and when that happens to any team you see them occasionally grasp defeat from the jaws of victory, and that’s exactly what happened today on the North Shore of Pittsburgh.
Down 3 in the 8th inning the Marlins walked, HBP’d and errored in 4 runs to lose the lead 6-5. They’d come back in the 9th off Rodriguez before the extra inning portion of the contest began. After exchanging runs on no hits in the 10th, each club held the other scoreless in the 11th.
In the 12th, Holmes got through the top scoreless.
In the bottom Hayes almost put one out but it served to get Frazier to 3rd, the Marlins walked Reynolds intentionally and it brought Jacob Stallings to the plate needing only a fly ball. He said screw it and just singled him in to win the game.
Early on in the contest it looked like the Bucs were never going to really get into this one. Rookie of the year candidate Trevor Rogers held the Pirates bats at bay. And Chase De Jong didn’t perform nearly up to par. Giving up 5 runs in 5 innings.
Again, the Marlins should have had no issue winning this game. That said, shoulda, coulda, woulda. It’s nice to see things fall the Pirates way.
The Bucs pulled it off, and the bullpen again was absolutely lights out even given the Rich Rod blown save.
Back at it tomorrow looking for the sweep with Sandy Alcantara facing Chad Kuhl at 1:05. Hell of a fun game today. Been a really fun series.
News & Notes
- Richard Rodriguez blew his second save in a week today. It’s not alarm bell time, but only having one pitch is starting to catch up with him. They need to help him discover that slider.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes 1 for 6 today, but just his presence in the lineup changes the dynamic of how the order falls, how the opponent attacks them, it’s truly remarkable.
- The Pirates have won 3 in a row and 4 of 6 facing the Marlins and Rockies. Let’s keep this in perspective.
- The Pirates go for the 4 game sweep tomorrow against the Marlins.
- Ben Gamel played first base after pinch hitting in the 8th inning and looked pretty decent doing it.