Tyler Anderson pitched his requisite five innings, and gave up two runs in the process. Now one would think in Colorado that would be good enough to give your team a chance, but instead these teams both were largely silent on the day.
The Rockies countered with their best bet Kyle Freeland who blanked the Bucs through five innings racking up 7 strikeouts.
Adam Frazier rarely gets a day off and while this one was reportedly planned, it also gives us a window into what we can expect when and if he is dealt. I completely understand and support why he is a trade candidate, but I can’t say I’m excited to watch what it will do to this offense.
I wish I could tell you there were a ton of moments to call back on but really for both teams this was a nothing burger game.
The ninth inning would start out well for the Bucs as Jacob Stallings led off with a single, but the Pirates would not do anything with it.
Shutout in Colorado isn’t a fun start to the series.
Back at it tomorrow with Chase De Jong squaring off against German Marquez at 8:40.
News & Notes
- In the seventh inning, Chasen Shreve got the third out on a flyball to right. On his way off the field the umpire stopped him to check his uniform for substances. I honestly wonder what good that does after the outs are recorded. Wouldn’t you check before the outing? I get why this is important, I just think the implementation is whacky.
- Bryan Reynolds extended his hitting streak to 13 games.
- Colin Moran was hit with a pitch on his hand AGAIN, and tried to stay in the game only to leave after the toss around in between innings. Not sure how many bullets we can avoid here but Moran’s injury plagued season have all but ensured he isn’t going anywhere at this deadline which I’m personally very happy about as they simply don’t have anyone ready to step in.
- Prior to the game Max Kranick was optioned to AAA and Cody Ponce was called up. The Pirates have a TBA on the books for Thursday’s pitcher and while by MLB rule Kranick has to stay down for 15 days before returning barring an injury he still makes a ton of sense. I wouldn’t be shocked to see someone wind up on the IL with a blister or hamstring if you catch my drift.
- Kevin Newman had two hits in the ballgame. This doesn’t change the season he’s had but you have to start somewhere.