The Pirates jumped on the Rockies early in this one, anxious to get the taste of the last two games out of their mouths, Adam Frazier led off the game with triple off the wall and Hayes drove him in with a sac fly to end the 22 inning shutout streak and put the Pirates on the board. Reynolds followed with a mammoth shot to right center to make it 2-0.
Chad Kuhl started for the Pirates this afternoon and he really looked good through four and he’s been on a little run of nice outings so this has been pleasant. In this contest he allowed one run through 4, but in the fifth he ran into a familiar foe, his mind.
Chad allowed a single and threw a routing pickoff throw to first that Phillip Evans failed to field. Now, it looks as though it went straight through the webbing in his mitt so I’ll let you decide if it was his fault or whatever, point is, Chad gets poor defense or poor outcomes and things snowball on him from time to time, this was one of those games, and honestly, if you’ve watched him for any length of time you know the exact look on his face I saw.
The bats were largely silent sans Frazier and Reynolds continuing to get on base and hit and be great players.
The Rockies were not content to sit on their 1 run lead and added 3 more to the final score of 6-2.
Back home after spoiling what could have been a very positive road trip after the Cardinals series to face the Brewers and Corbin Burnes. The Bucs will counter with Wil Crowe at 7:05 at PNC Park.
News & Notes
- Adam Frazier recorded his 100th hit of the season today. Well on his way to a plausible 200 hit season. This is more than a hot start, and while I’m still fairly certain he’s on the move, it won’t feel good watching how his season finishes from afar if it comes to it.
- Bryan Reynolds hit his 14th homerun today in the First inning extending his hitting streak to 14 and also marking his longest homerun of his career at 454 feet.
- Tonight David Bednar’s brother Will is pitching for Mississippi State in game three of the College World Series against Kumar Rocker and the Vanderbilt juggernaut of a team. The Pirates have plenty of rooting interests here aside from familial relations, Bryan Reynolds is a proud Vandy alum while Adam Frazier is a Miss St. alum. Should be a fun flight home for the boys if they can swallow this series first.
- The Pirates have reached the 50 loss mark. An ugly mile stick on the way to 100.
- Bryan Reynolds was 2 for 2 with 2 walks today. On base all four times he came up.
- Adam Frazier leads the NL in starting votes at second base for the All Star Game, he went 2 for 5 today with a triple to lead off the game that itself went 423 feet and the enormous ballpark held it.
- Quinn Priester and Roansy Contreras were named to the All Stars Futures team for 2021. Congratulations to both young men, they’ve had really nice early seasons.
- Apparently the secret sauce for Ka’ai Tom is the 9th inning. Last night he broke up the no hitter, tonight he doubled.
- Here’s a Nugget that explains a lot.