8-29-21 – By Gary Morgan – @garymo2007 on Twitter
The Pirates hung in there with the Cardinals, but Wil Crowe’s 3 runs in 5 innings was too much to overcome for this light hitting lineup, well, through 8 innings anyhow.
For years, the Cardinals have felt like the Pirates big brother. They spend more, they develop a little better, they’ve drafted a lot better and they seemingly play defense that is only matched by the parade of pitching the even when struggling shows up against the Pirates.
Plays like this from Bader
The expected batting average on this hit from Kevin Newman was .650.
Late in the game two gold glovers combined for this gem to rob Wilmer Difo.
And they’re always backed by Yadier Molina, now solely in 4th place all time for innings caught in MLB.
You always wait for them to age out, and slowly but surely they do. Molina will retire after next season, Carpenter will likely be done as a Card this year, problem is they always find more. Dylan Carlson, Tommy Edman, step right in and keep it going.
The Pirates did precious little to really threaten the Cardinals all game, until the 9th inning. Alex Reyes was wild and walked to men, before Yoshi Tsutsugo stepped in and delivered an absolute bomb over the Clemente Wall to win the game 4-3. It should be noted he had all 4 RBI today, the first on a sac fly.
Little brother split the series with the Cards 2-2 to really hurt their fight for the wild card.
Exciting finish, but don’t blow past the job this bullpen did again to keep the score 3-1. Chad Kuhl tossed two and then David Bednar and Chris Stratton one each to set the stage for the drama.
News & Notes
- Ke’Bryan Hayes was removed from the game due to right hand discomfort, not good. Expect them to be extremely careful here. Important to note the wrist injury he suffered early in the season was his left. X rays were negative, defined as a contusion. Day to Day
- Michael Perez pinch hit in this game, he is now on an 0-27 stretch. The Pirates really need to consider finding another backup next season, Bins is the closest they have and his glove won’t play, at least not as he currently looks.
- Nick Gonzalez went 4 for 5 with Three homeruns and 8 RBI today for Greensboro. One homer was a Grand Slam, one a Three run shot and one a solo. Insane.
- Yoshi Tsutsugo is not a good fielder, but it’s hard to deny the bat plays. That’s 5 homeruns as a Pirate, in only 8 starts. If indeed there is a DH next year, this guy has to be a consideration. What he’s doing is great, but fielding is his downfall. No DH, hard to see him as an option.
- That’s now 5 innings out of the bullpen for Chad Kuhl scoreless. Man he’s been good.
- The Pirates ate 6-4 in their last 10 games