9-6-21 – By Gary Morgan – @garymo2007 on Twitter
Incredible how a good start and some timely hitting can change the complexion of a baseball game.
The bats largely did what they have been doing for the best part of a full calendar week, they hit, they scored. Today the pitching kept everything in line and made the runs count. It’s a simple formula, they just don’t have nearly enough ways to make it happen.
Newman got the party started with this 2 run shot.
Bryse Wilson went scoreless through 5 and in the 6th the Tigers broke through for 3 tallies.
Then the Bucs went back to work.
The Bucs got it to 6-3 and the Pirates three best relievers, Chasen Shreve, Chris Stratton and David Bednar locked it down. Yes, I mean it, that’s their three best relievers, and the primary reason I rarely complain about who Shelton chooses to use. Two of those I’m not usually chomping at the bit to see.
Monkey off their backs the Bucs are back at it tomorrow evening against the Tigers, don’t forget home games in September are back to the 6:35 start time.
News & Notes
- Bryse Wilson finished 6 innings of 3 run ball, a quality start yo, it shouldn’t be news, and yet it is. Nice start from the young man, honestly it was better than the 3 runs made it look
- Ke’Bryan Hayes was on fire today, going 3 for 4 and making some really nice plays in the field. He’s seemingly found his comfort zone at the plate and it’s very nice to see
- Yoshi Tsutsugo continues to hit, 2 for 4 today and I’ll say this, they’ve shown him to the fans, and should not expect a positive reception should they not find a way to retain him.
- Cole Tucker collected a couple hits today, well struck balls too, not just flares that dropped in.
- The Pirates called up Cody Ponce and optioned Phillip Evans back to AAA
- The Pirates have claimed RHP Connor Overton off waivers from the Blue Jays and optioned him to AAA. To clear space on the 40-man the Pirates placed Duane Underwood Jr. on the 60-day IL with right shoulder inflammation