4/5/23- By Craig W. Toth – @BucsBasement on Twitter
Through the first six and two-thirds, Mitch Keller was on full cruise control before surrounding a double to Tristian Casas; immediately followed by a Christian Arroyo single to break the shutout.
Then after surrendering another single, pinch-hitter Reece McGuire-yes, the former Pirates Top Prospect-almost tied the game on 3-run homer, that luckily trailed foul; ultimately ending up as Keller’s seventh strikeout victim on the day.
Sure, we could second guess Shelton on what could have happened, but, I’m not sure this is a decision that will even be remembered in a month or so; especially if Keller continues to deal the way he did for the majority of this game.
For the Red Sox, veteran Corey Kluber went five-throwing 67 pitches after tossing 80 in his first start of the season. On the day he finished with a stat line of 5IP/3H/1ER/1BB/1HR.
Unfortunately for Boston their bullpen wasn’t able to keep the Pirates in check; allowing 3 additional runs on 5 hits.
When it was all said and done, Pittsburgh walked out of Fenway with a 4-1 victory; and a series sweep.
News & Notes
- Last night Carlos Santana was robbed a homer in the top of the fifth. Today he made sure it went over the fence by aiming toward Pesky’s Pole.
- Keller struck out the side in the bottom of the fifth on just 11 pitches. His final line was 7IP/4H/IER/2BB/7K.
- Cruz was removed from the game in the top of the seventh after taking a Rafael Devers’ cleat to the face, while hustling on the base-paths the previous half-inning.
- Even with the three-run homer Chase DeJong gave up in the Opening Series in Cincinnati, the Pirates bullpen has a 1.97 ERA, a 1.20 WHIP and 20 Ks in 18.1 innings pitched.
- Bryan Reynolds continues to make hard contact. In this particular game it only resulted in a double. On the season he is hitting .417 with an 1.444 OPS and 4 homers.
- Rodolfo Castro has struggled mightily to begin the season. He is now 1 for 12 with 5 strikeouts and no walks.
Your Pirates are off tomorrow before arriving at PNC Park for the Home Opener on Friday at 4:12 PM. Currently the pitching matchup is scheduled to be Rich Hill (0-1, 5.40 ERA) for Pittsburgh, with Lucas Giolito (0-0, 3.60 ERA) set to go the White Sox.