4/14/23- By Craig W. Toth – @BucsBasement on Twitter
“Maybe tomorrow we’ll all wear 42, so nobody can tell us apart.”
Since 2004 I have experienced Jackie Robinson Day on a local level. Even in Pittsburgh each of these games have a totally different feeling to any other game. It’s simply not your regular day at the ballpark.
Today I was able to enjoy the atmosphere from the point of view of another fanbase. And, let me tell you, St. Louis absolutely knocked it out of the ballpark.
For the Pirates, the game started out with a bang.
And, it ended with a bang.
For the most part the Cardinals hurlers matched the Pirates pitch for pitch, but not in extras, as Pittsburgh topped St. Louis 6-3.
News & Notes
- Prior to last night’s contest in Ji-Man Choi was a last minute scratch. Today he was placed on the 10-Day IL-retroactive to yesterday-with a strain on the left Achilles tendon; described as a posterior ankle discomfort by the Pirates originally. In his place, Tucupita Marcano; fresh off a heater with the Indianapolis Indians. Across 48 plate appearances he slashed .422/.458/.689 with a homer, a triple and 7 doubles.
- Roansy was wild at times; but he did battle. On the day he posted a line 6IP/6H/2ER/3BB/6K.
- The bullpen got a workout. Called upon for 4 innings, thanks to an extra inning of free baseball. Of the five relievers, only Rob Zastryzny allowed a Cardinal to score. The other four-Robert Stephenson, Colin Holderman, David Bednar and Dauri Moreta-did not allow a hit and walked two, while striking out five.
- Brendan Donovan gave the Pirates fits, going 3 for 4 with a double.
- The Pirates have secured at least a split of the 4 -game series at Busch Stadium.
The final game of the series is set for 2:15 EST. Mitch Keller (1-0, 3.57 ERA) is scheduled to toe the rubber against Miles Mikolas (0-1, 10.05 ERA).